Attached are the HM timing that I have had achieved in 2012 with the plan time as my benchmark to beat the sub-1:45 finishing time. Time is running out as the final 21km of 2012 is happening soon, this coming Sunday and KRI annual road race 2012.
Reflecting back to all the races I have done, I am still not sure how I did the PB although all the splits were well-captured by my Garmin Forerunner 405. So far, the best half marathon that I did was the PJ Dawn (1:46:15) back in May, the first 21km race of the year, after that the performance seems keeping dropping to an 'out-of-control' range.
I did fine in Hatyai Nature Run in early August with a commendable result of 1:47:35, given the elevation that I have never trained on before. Maybe the tomyam helped a little bit.
After that the back to back races started. I have got the worst performance during the first race of the four - MPSP Larian Hijau with finishing time 2:26:19. Suffered a lot during the race, KO-ed as early as km-5. Maybe it was due to some mental problems, physical problems and medical condition. I still don't know but I choose to believe that all the problems would be solved when the correct remedies are put into places.
Then, I had Sungai Petani Half Marathon at the following week. Some actions had been put into places. Some take time. I fought hard to finish within sub-2, I'm proud with myself to be able to run until km-15 with the condition I had. Finished the race with 1:59:17, albeit poor arrangement by the organizer.
I want to hit my HM goal sub-1:45 so much and I would not mind spending some time to study my own performance over the races and I have made a few observations:
- I ran PJ Dawn without HRM compared to others which I would wear HRM to monitor the HR to collect more data.
- PJ Dawn is the race I had enough warm up because the organizer did arranged warm up session lead by instructor on the stage.
- Often, I started fast and suffered at the second half of the races.
- In another words, I was huffing and puffing, breathing with nose and mouth during the races especially MPSP Larian Hijau was not good at all. Oxygen debt too high.
- My training mileage was high that maybe I did not taper enough or condition myself good enough to perform in races.
KRI is the last half marathon race that I have this year, as of the registered events. In order to hit sub-1:45, it is quite obvious that I have to dive under the pace of 5:00, which including the time I will take to UP the engine and drink. Whatever I desire, there is not enough time for me to react. I am bringing with me the confidence of finishing 2 LSD in the past 2 weeks with me, 25km and 30km.
I would be do a little different this time:
- Get the body warm up before the gun off, start slow and pick up gradually.
- Hydration strategy: bring along my Nathan Trek (600ml) with sufficient salt replenishment.
- Refuel strategy: Eat enough the night before, take a decent breakfast and one gel on the km-10.
- Be determined, 'ATTACK' the one in front of me at the final 5km. LOL....