Friday, July 27, 2012

Review - Nathan Trek

This a long overdue review because I promised to write about this waist hydration pack in April 2012 after throwing it into a few races. Let me count, I used it in PJ Dawn 2012, Hatyai International Marathon 2012, ASJC 2012, SCKLM 2012, this should covered over 120km on my waist, or 13 hours of race time, and uncountable training runs. I guess I should be able to give a few comment about it.

First, let us review the description of Nathan Trek as published in Nathan official website:
  • Limited-stretch elesticized waistbelt

    The stretch is limited but I'm not sure whether the elesticized is the correct word for the elasticity that it has. I always fasten the belt to my waist to minimize the bumping while running.
  • 70/30 bottle positioning for stability
  • 22 oz. (650 mL) Hydration Bottle with Clipless Cap
  • Fully insulated, angled bottle holster
  • Bottle security Shock Cord

    About the bottle, I chose Trek because of its volume, I guess those 300ml bottle is not suitable for me because I sweat a lot (really a lot and I need more water reservoir) during training run. The bottle is well-stabilized and the angle is really well-placed that my hand can actually pull out the bottle easily and place it back with minimal effort.

    The security cord is something that you need to pay attention too because it plays a role to hold the bottle nicely. When the bottle is full, it does not shake a lot due to its weight but when the volume is halved, then you could feel something shaking behind.
  • Weather-resistant pocket and zipper provide extra protection from moisture
  • Key clip
  • Airmesh moisture-wicking backing
  • Incorporated, waterproof ID/medical emergency card
  • Reflective details

    The so-called weather-resistant or water resistant pocket is 'not-so' water resistant to me, probably I sweat a lot and most of the time after more than 1 hour of training, the whole thing would be soaked in my perspiration, especially there is the moisture-wicking backing, seems like the capillary action is taking in all my sweat.
    I still used a plastic bag to wrap my phone or keys, just to prevent them being malfunction after sweating like hell and want to get home but the remote is bad, the phone is not working... poka-yoke :P

    The reflective details work in dark when there is any light source being radiated on it. Not really utilize the ket clip and ID card. Maybe I should.

  • Weight: 7.6 oz. (.22 kg)
  • Adjustable fit - one size fits most

    The weight is still acceptable to me even the bottle is full, maybe because I have not bring a lighter waistbelt before, and I enjoy using the Nathan Trek since I had to hold the 500ml bottle in my hand during the run. Not good at all.

    I believe if your waist is from 28 inches to 35 inches, the belt should fit, just a wild guess by looking at the long adjustable belt that I did not utilize.
Haaa... that's all I have for my brief review on the Nathan Trek. It cost me RM139 which is quite expensive, but I needed it last time. You can get it from Amazon.com at close to USD30, which is cheaper (excluding the shipping fee, of course).

If you want to see it, hold it, try on it. Then probably you could visit:

Athlete's Circle Malaysia
A-17-G, Ground Floor, Block A (next to OCBC)
JAYA ONE, 72A Jalan Universiti 46200 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
Tel: +603-7960 2313
Opening hours: Mon – Fri (10am – 8pm), Sat (10am – 3pm). Closed on Sunday & Public Holiday.

Note: I did not have any relation with this outlet but I saw Nathan products were sold there at the same price that I've paid, when I was collecting my PJ Dawn bib there.

That's all.

:P

No comments: