Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day

I've read an article on The Star Online, and it does give me a few heavy knocks at the head. Read on, what do you think about it? I can't imagine if my children do that in the future.

..... But how does one put a price on time? How do you measure those moments of bonding with your children in their growing-up years?

Whether you are a CEO or a manual worker, we all have the same 24 hours in a day. I reckon if we were to divide our monthly salary by the number of hours in a month, we roughly know how much our time is worth per hour.

I got an email the other day about a boy who wanted to borrow US$25 from his ever-busy father who earns US$50 an hour.

“Daddy, I have US$50 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you,” he said.

Well, some may dismiss this as just one of those feel-good email that make their rounds to make one feel guilty about spending too much time away from home.

The song Cat in The Cradle comes to mind. Made famous in 1974 by Harry Chapin, the song is told in first-person by a father who is too busy to spend time with his son.

And, eventually, the boy grew up just like him – a busy man who also does not have time for his father.

Time. It’s priceless.

No comments: